As the startup grows from a small group of co-founders to the first early employees and beyond, organizational accountability needs to scale as well. Co-founders, talking so frequently and being self-starters, often mind-meld on a daily basis and don’t need as much structure. Only, that doesn’t scale.
Here are a few ideas for accountability in a startup:
- Simplified One Page Strategic Plan – Get everyone on the same page. Keep it simple and current.
- Google Sheet KPIs Dashboard – Make the metrics transparent and open.
- Daily Check-ins – Spend 10 minutes aligning the team daily.
- Weekly Tactical Meetings – Review the strategic plan weekly.
- Quarterly Check-ins – Run the performance review quarterly.
Accountability in a startup takes work. Make it a system with the right rhythm, data, and priorities.
What else? What are some more thoughts on accountability in a startup?